What is the Meaning of Special Economic Zone Under GST?
- Blog|GST & Customs|
- 1308 Views
- 2 Min Read
- By Taxmann
- Last Updated on 31 December, 2020
SEZ Treatment Before GST:
Section 26 of the SEZ Act grants exemption, to every SEZ Unit and developer, from: • Any duty of customs under Customs Act, 1962 on goods or services imported into or exported from India, • Any duty of excise under Central Excise Act, 1944 • Service Tax under Finance Act, 1994 • Levy of taxes on sale and purchase of goods other than newspaper • The securities transaction tax leviable under Section 98 of the Finance act, 2004. Any transaction with or by SEZ Unit or SEZ Developer shall be exempted from any indirect tax law.
SEZ Under GST:
a. IGST Exemption:
Any supply to SEZ Unit has been made exempt vide Notification No. 64/2017 – Customs dated 5th July, 2017.
Any supply from SEZ Unit to DTA shall be treated as Imports and would be taxable under Reverse Charge Basis at the end of the recipient. Rest other thing it will be considered as part of India.
Disclaimer: The content/information published on the website is only for general information of the user and shall not be construed as legal advice. While the Taxmann has exercised reasonable efforts to ensure the veracity of information/content published, Taxmann shall be under no liability in any manner whatsoever for incorrect information, if any.
Taxmann Publications has a dedicated in-house Research & Editorial Team. This team consists of a team of Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, and Lawyers. This team works under the guidance and supervision of editor-in-chief Mr Rakesh Bhargava.
The Research and Editorial Team is responsible for developing reliable and accurate content for the readers. The team follows the six-sigma approach to achieve the benchmark of zero error in its publications and research platforms. The team ensures that the following publication guidelines are thoroughly followed while developing the content:
- The statutory material is obtained only from the authorized and reliable sources
- All the latest developments in the judicial and legislative fields are covered
- Prepare the analytical write-ups on current, controversial, and important issues to help the readers to understand the concept and its implications
- Every content published by Taxmann is complete, accurate and lucid
- All evidence-based statements are supported with proper reference to Section, Circular No., Notification No. or citations
- The golden rules of grammar, style and consistency are thoroughly followed
- Font and size that’s easy to read and remain consistent across all imprint and digital publications are applied
Comments are closed.