How to Crack CS Executive Exam in First Attempt?
- 4 Min Read
- By Taxmann
- Last Updated on 14 July, 2022
CS Executive is the second level of examination in Company Secretary (CS) Course. It is divided into two modules with four papers each. A student has a choice to appear in examination for either both the modules together or any single module at a time. Out of eight, three papers are MCQ-based.
CS Executive exams cannot be prepared for at the eleventh hour, and rather requires preparation throughout the year, given the depth of the syllabus. With proper time management and effective planning, both the groups can be cleared in one go. Some of the strategies to help one clear the exams include:
1. CS Executive General Strategies
- Fixing a daily target with a determined approach to complete is necessary.
- The syllabus contains many theoretical aspects and laws, which can be understood with regular reading and gaining clarity of provisions.
- Using a defined book and not switching to different books for the same topics can avoid confusion and unnecessary effort.
- After completion of CSEET, one gets only 9 months’ time to prepare for CS Executive. Therefore, each subject should be allotted a maximum of one month’s time.
- Students should make their own short notes alongside studying which will be helpful during the second, third and also the final revision on the day of exams.
- Scanners play a very important role especially for theoretical subjects. The trend of questions asked by the Institute in the recent examinations will help a student to do the ABC analysis and study smartly. There are a lot of Scanners available in the market like Taxmann’s Cracker or Suchita Prakashan.
- Writing Mock exam papers is very important, It not only helps in analyzing writing speed, and time management but also evaluates one’s understanding of the subject. Along with that, a student shall realize how the answers should be written in a professional examination like this.
- MCQs shall require a lot of practice. Further it must be noted that there is a negative marking for each wrong answer. Accordingly, appearing for mock tests and such other practice can only prove to be one of the effective ways of preparation.
2. CS Executive Subject-specific Strategies
Paper 1: Jurisprudence, Interpretation and General Laws
This Paper contains 17 different laws. A student while studying should make sure to concentrate on one Act at a time. They should refrain from studying two Acts simultaneously or leaving an Act in between and switching to some other subject. Also, special attention should be given to remembering the Act’s exact name along with its year of enforcement and a few important legal terminologies and phrases used.
Paper 2: Company Law
This is the core Paper, divided into three parts: Part A carries 50 Marks, Part B carries 40 Marks and Part C carries 10 Marks. Part A comprises of many chapters whereas Part B is comparatively easier and less theoretical. Part C is found to be the easiest with the least number of chapters. Based on marks and time-benefit analysis, students should focus more on Part B, Part C and then Part A. Also answer-writing practice is necessary as more professional answers are expected in the examination, especially for this subject.
Paper 3: The Setting up of Business Entities and Closure
This Paper is also divided into three parts. Part A contains 12 chapters for 40 marks, Part B has 6 chapters for 35 marks and Part C contains 3 chapters for 25 marks. Part B and Part C can be given more priority as both parts together are for 60 marks comprising 9 chapters. Further, for Part B procedural chapters, students can prepare flowcharts for the steps and procedures which will be helpful at the time of revision.
Paper 4: Tax Law
This paper is divided into two parts. Part A is for Direct Tax (50 marks) and Part B is for Indirect Tax (50 marks). Many students find Indirect Tax to be easier as compared to Direct Tax. Indirect Tax has GST for 45 marks and Customs Law for 5 marks. As it is a 100 marks MCQ-based paper, the approach to study should be moulded accordingly i.e. more focus should be given on the details in study material and less attention on the steps and format of solving a detailed question. Regular practicing of MCQs is a must for this Paper as speed of completing the questions shall play an important role in the exams.
Paper 5: Corporate and Management Accounting
It is an MCQ-based paper; hence, logical and conceptual clarity is necessary. This Paper is also divided into two parts: Part I Corporate Accounting (60 marks) and Part II Management Accounting and Valuation (40 marks). Part II is comparatively easier for students to understand, takes less time and easy to score and completing this first shall boost their confidence. Students should solve MCQs for practice upon completing a chapter. Although this subject is practical, but being an objective paper, theory should not be ignored while preparing for this subject.
Paper 6: Securities Laws and Capital Market
This Paper is a mix of theory and practical. Part A contains 14 chapters (70 Marks) and Part B contains 2 chapters (30 Marks). Numerical questions are tricky and hence, practice is a must. The contents of syllabus seem to be small, but every topic is important. Summarised self-made notes shall be very helpful for quick revision.
Paper 7: Economic, Business and Commercial Laws
This Paper includes theoretical subjects divided into three parts. Part A comprises 11 chapters (40 Marks), Part B comprises 1 chapter (25 Marks) and Part C comprises 12 Chapters (35 Marks). Accordingly, it is evident that in any case, Part B should be given the top most priority. Other than this, ABC analysis and past trends should be considered to study this subject.
Paper 8: Financial and Strategic Management
It is an interesting 100 marks MCQ-based paper. Part A comprises of Financial Management (60 marks) and Part B is Strategic Management (40 marks). Part A involves approximately 70% practical questions and 30% theoretical, whereas Part B is completely theoretical, which is advised to be studied at the end so as to make it easy for students to retain the concepts till the exams. A student should make sure to note down all the relevant formulas at one place, which can be helpful for last minute revision.
Thus, besides hard work and dedication, effectively planning the studies with an ability to execute it can make a student realise his/her dream to become a CS in the first attempt itself.
Disclaimer: The content/information published on the website is only for general information of the user and shall not be construed as legal advice. While the Taxmann has exercised reasonable efforts to ensure the veracity of information/content published, Taxmann shall be under no liability in any manner whatsoever for incorrect information, if any.
Taxmann Publications has a dedicated in-house Research & Editorial Team. This team consists of a team of Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, and Lawyers. This team works under the guidance and supervision of editor-in-chief Mr Rakesh Bhargava.
The Research and Editorial Team is responsible for developing reliable and accurate content for the readers. The team follows the six-sigma approach to achieve the benchmark of zero error in its publications and research platforms. The team ensures that the following publication guidelines are thoroughly followed while developing the content:
- The statutory material is obtained only from the authorized and reliable sources
- All the latest developments in the judicial and legislative fields are covered
- Prepare the analytical write-ups on current, controversial, and important issues to help the readers to understand the concept and its implications
- Every content published by Taxmann is complete, accurate and lucid
- All evidence-based statements are supported with proper reference to Section, Circular No., Notification No. or citations
- The golden rules of grammar, style and consistency are thoroughly followed
- Font and size that’s easy to read and remain consistent across all imprint and digital publications are applied