Madras HC in Platinum Holdings – Paving clarity on the contentious issue of SEZ Refunds.
- Blog|GST & Customs|News|
- 69 Views
- < 1 minute
- By Taxmann
- Last Updated on 30 November, 2021
S. Rahul Jain –  132 taxmann.com 276 (Article)
Section 16 of the IGST Act 2017 provides that any supply of goods or services to SEZ developers or SEZ units would qualify as a zero-rated supply. Therefore, no tax may be levied on supply of goods or services to SEZ units. Though Section 16 granted Zero Rating benefit on supply to SEZs, in certain cases, the supplier to the SEZ units opted to not claim such benefit and levy GST on the transaction.
In such a case, the issue which has plagued the industry is whether the SEZ units can themselves claim refund of taxes paid such domestic procurement. Many SEZ units, especially engaged in manufacture of goods are facing the challenge of accumulation of ITC. In this article, the author has discussed this issue in light of decision of the Madras High Court in case of Platinum Holdings (P.) Ltd. v Addl. Commissioner of GST & Central Excise.
Disclaimer: The content/information published on the website is only for general information of the user and shall not be construed as legal advice. While the Taxmann has exercised reasonable efforts to ensure the veracity of information/content published, Taxmann shall be under no liability in any manner whatsoever for incorrect information, if any.
Taxmann Publications has a dedicated in-house Research & Editorial Team. This team consists of a team of Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, and Lawyers. This team works under the guidance and supervision of editor-in-chief Mr Rakesh Bhargava.
The Research and Editorial Team is responsible for developing reliable and accurate content for the readers. The team follows the six-sigma approach to achieve the benchmark of zero error in its publications and research platforms. The team ensures that the following publication guidelines are thoroughly followed while developing the content:
- The statutory material is obtained only from the authorized and reliable sources
- All the latest developments in the judicial and legislative fields are covered
- Prepare the analytical write-ups on current, controversial, and important issues to help the readers to understand the concept and its implications
- Every content published by Taxmann is complete, accurate and lucid
- All evidence-based statements are supported with proper reference to Section, Circular No., Notification No. or citations
- The golden rules of grammar, style and consistency are thoroughly followed
- Font and size that’s easy to read and remain consistent across all imprint and digital publications are applied