ITR-2 Filing: What is ITR2 Form?
- Blog|Income Tax|
- 2 Min Read
- By Taxmann
- Last Updated on 10 May, 2021
When ITR-2 Form has to be filed:
In case the assessee is not eligible to furnish income tax return in Form ITR- 1.
- In case the income of the resident individual exceeds from Rs. 50 Lakhs.
- In the case where the resident individual receives income from:
- more than one house property,
- winning from lottery, or any other kind of gambling
- horse races,
- agricultural income exceeding Rs. 5,000/-,
- capital gains,
- asset situated outside India or he has signing authority in any account located outside India
- In case the residential status of Individual/ HUF is “Residents and not ordinary residents (RNOR)” or “Non-residents (NR).”
- If an Individual is claiming relief of foreign tax under section 90/90A/91.
New ITR Forms for AY 2018-19:
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has notified new ITR forms for the Assessment Year 2018-19 for filing the return of income of Financial Year 2017-18. Certain clauses have been added/ modified in Form ITR-2 in comparison to last year.
Major changes are:
- Income earned from partnership firms by way of salary, bonus, commission or remuneration, or interest on capital of the firm is also reportable in Form ITR- 2. However, the same shall be reported in Form ITR- 3.
- Reporting of information pertaining to the fee for late furnishing of return as per the provisions of section 234F that has been inserted in Income Tax Act, 1961 w.e.f. 1st April 2018.
Amount of Late Fee
Income < 5 Lacs
In all cases where it is mandatory to file the return
Income ≥ 5 Lacs
If return filed on or before 31.12.2018
In any other case
- Reporting of detailed information relating to TDS deducted and TDS credit claimed.
- Reporting of information relating to income from transfer of carbon credits.
- Reporting of more details in case of capital gains arising from transfer of unquoted shares.
- Reporting of sum taxable as gifts.
- Assessee claiming DTAA relief is required to report more details
- Detailed Information to be furnished relating to capital gains exemption
- Disallowance of expenditure against residuary income if tax is not deducted and deposited with the Central Govt.
- Reporting of remission or cessation of trading liability which is taxable as per Section 59
- Removal of Gender from Personal Info.
Mandatory Provisions for furnishing return of income in form ITR-2 for AY 2018-19:
1. E-filing of return is mandatory.
2. For the purpose of verification of return of income in form ITR- 2, Digital Signature is not mandatory and the following options are also available for verification:
- e-verification through Aadhar OTP
- e-verification through net banking if the bank account is linked with PAN.
- e-verification through EVC (Electronic Verification Code)
- physical verification by sending the signed ITR-V through post at CPC, Bengaluru
Author Bio: Radhika Daga is a CA Final student. Connect with her on Linkedin @www.linkedin.com/in/radhikadaga.
Disclaimer: The content/information published on the website is only for general information of the user and shall not be construed as legal advice. While the Taxmann has exercised reasonable efforts to ensure the veracity of information/content published, Taxmann shall be under no liability in any manner whatsoever for incorrect information, if any.
Taxmann Publications has a dedicated in-house Research & Editorial Team. This team consists of a team of Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, and Lawyers. This team works under the guidance and supervision of editor-in-chief Mr Rakesh Bhargava.
The Research and Editorial Team is responsible for developing reliable and accurate content for the readers. The team follows the six-sigma approach to achieve the benchmark of zero error in its publications and research platforms. The team ensures that the following publication guidelines are thoroughly followed while developing the content:
- The statutory material is obtained only from the authorized and reliable sources
- All the latest developments in the judicial and legislative fields are covered
- Prepare the analytical write-ups on current, controversial, and important issues to help the readers to understand the concept and its implications
- Every content published by Taxmann is complete, accurate and lucid
- All evidence-based statements are supported with proper reference to Section, Circular No., Notification No. or citations
- The golden rules of grammar, style and consistency are thoroughly followed
- Font and size that’s easy to read and remain consistent across all imprint and digital publications are applied