FAQs on Aadhaar-PAN Linking
- Blog|Income Tax|
- 882 Views
- 5 Min Read
- By Taxmann
- Last Updated on 7 January, 2021
Q1. How to link Aadhaar with PAN?
Q2. What are the different modes to link Aadhaar with PAN?
It is mandatory to link Aadhaar number with PAN to file income tax return. Government has prescribed following modes to link Aadhaar number with PAN:
Send SMS to 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number in the following format: UIDPAN<SPACE><12 Digit Aadhaar Number><SPACE><10 Digit PAN> For E.g., UIDPAN 123456789000 EPOPE1234E
- By visiting the website of the PAN Service providers (i.e., www.tin-nsdl.com or www.utiitsl.com). Click on the button ‘Link Aadhaar to PAN’ which will direct you to the income-tax website.
- By visiting directly the e-filing website (i.e., www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in).
c) Paper mode:
File one page Form along with minimal fee with the designated PAN centre. Copies of PAN card, Aadhaar card are to be furnished.
Q3. How can I link my Aadhaar number with PAN if there is minor mismatch in my name appearing in Aadhaar and PAN?
Q4. Why am I not able to link my Aadhaar with PAN, though my name as per Aadhaar and PAN is same?
There are certain reasons due to which a taxpayer might not be able to link his Aadhaar number with his PAN. Some of the reasons are:
a) Phone number of taxpayer is not updated in Aadhaar database:
Taxpayers cannot link their Aadhaar number with PAN if their phone number is not updated in the Aadhaar database. In this case taxpayers are required to visit the Aadhaar Facilitating Center to update their phone number in Aadhaar database.
b) Gender Mismatch:
In case of gender mismatch, taxpayers won’t be able to link Aadhaar with PAN. In this case, taxpayers are required to change the gender either in Aadhaar database or in PAN database.
c) Date of birth:
Aadhaar won’t be linked to PAN in case there is mismatch in date of birth of the taxpayer. However, taxpayers whose Aadhaar Card contains only the Year of Birth and it matches with the PAN records, linking of these two documents would not be difficult.
Q5. Whether my PAN will be treated as invalid if I do not link my Aadhaar number with PAN?
Q6. I do not have Aadhaar number. Whether my PAN will be treated as invalid if I do not link my PAN with Aadhaar number?
Q7. What is the last date to link Aadhaar with PAN?
Q8. I cannot get my Aadhaar number by the end of due date of filing Income-tax Return. How can I file ITR without linking Aadhaar with PAN?
Disclaimer: The content/information published on the website is only for general information of the user and shall not be construed as legal advice. While the Taxmann has exercised reasonable efforts to ensure the veracity of information/content published, Taxmann shall be under no liability in any manner whatsoever for incorrect information, if any.
Taxmann Publications has a dedicated in-house Research & Editorial Team. This team consists of a team of Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, and Lawyers. This team works under the guidance and supervision of editor-in-chief Mr Rakesh Bhargava.
The Research and Editorial Team is responsible for developing reliable and accurate content for the readers. The team follows the six-sigma approach to achieve the benchmark of zero error in its publications and research platforms. The team ensures that the following publication guidelines are thoroughly followed while developing the content:
- The statutory material is obtained only from the authorized and reliable sources
- All the latest developments in the judicial and legislative fields are covered
- Prepare the analytical write-ups on current, controversial, and important issues to help the readers to understand the concept and its implications
- Every content published by Taxmann is complete, accurate and lucid
- All evidence-based statements are supported with proper reference to Section, Circular No., Notification No. or citations
- The golden rules of grammar, style and consistency are thoroughly followed
- Font and size that’s easy to read and remain consistent across all imprint and digital publications are applied