Documents Required to File Income Tax Return
- Blog|Income Tax|
- 2 Min Read
- By Taxmann
- Last Updated on 7 January, 2021
While tax return filing date is nearing, it’s very important and useful to know what all documents you require to file your income tax return. Filing for income tax return is a legal process which is administered by Income Tax Department of India. Documents are very important in this process to prove your source of income and savings to get an exemption from levied income tax. For each part, you need to have a formal prescribed document.
Documents required for Income Tax Return Filing in India:
Some of the general documents that every individual filing for income tax return required are as below – • PAN Card copy • Aadhar Card copy • Bank Account Number with IFSC Code • TDS Certificates like Form 16, 16A, 26AS etc. • Tax Payment Challan for self-assessment or advance tax paid by you. • In case you are filing a revised return or filing a return in response to any notice that you have received from income tax department, then you need to keep a copy of the original return and copy of the notice for further reference.
• ELSS Document (Equity Linked Saving Scheme) –
Under this you can invest up to an amount of 1.5 lakhs u/s 80C into ELSS and get tax exemption for that amount.
• Sukanya Samridhi Yojana Scheme –
Under this as well you can invest up to an amount of 1.5 lakhs u/s 80C and get tax exemption for the invested amount.
• Medical Insurance –
This amount can be exempted from your salary up to certain limit to calculate your taxable salary.
• PPF Passbook –
You can save an amount of 1.5 lakhs every year into your PPF account and get a tax exemption from your taxable salary under section 80C.
• Tax Saving FD –
You can again claim a tax rebate of an amount limiting to 1.5 lakhs invested into a tax saving FD (FD with tenure of 5 years) under section 80C.
• Loan Repayment Certificates –
You can claim tax rebate for your home loans and education loans repayments. You may need loan repayment certificates in order to calculate principal and interest portion on loan repayments.
• Senior Citizen Savings Scheme –
You can claim deduction of upto Rs. 1.5 lakh per annum under section 80C for an amount deposited under Senior Citizen Saving Scheme.
• Tuition Fee Receipts for your Children –
• Donation Receipts –
You can also get tax exemptions for any donation made by you to authorized NGO, trust, temple, etc. under section 80G.
Disclaimer: The content/information published on the website is only for general information of the user and shall not be construed as legal advice. While the Taxmann has exercised reasonable efforts to ensure the veracity of information/content published, Taxmann shall be under no liability in any manner whatsoever for incorrect information, if any.
Taxmann Publications has a dedicated in-house Research & Editorial Team. This team consists of a team of Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, and Lawyers. This team works under the guidance and supervision of editor-in-chief Mr Rakesh Bhargava.
The Research and Editorial Team is responsible for developing reliable and accurate content for the readers. The team follows the six-sigma approach to achieve the benchmark of zero error in its publications and research platforms. The team ensures that the following publication guidelines are thoroughly followed while developing the content:
- The statutory material is obtained only from the authorized and reliable sources
- All the latest developments in the judicial and legislative fields are covered
- Prepare the analytical write-ups on current, controversial, and important issues to help the readers to understand the concept and its implications
- Every content published by Taxmann is complete, accurate and lucid
- All evidence-based statements are supported with proper reference to Section, Circular No., Notification No. or citations
- The golden rules of grammar, style and consistency are thoroughly followed
- Font and size that’s easy to read and remain consistent across all imprint and digital publications are applied