Process of filing of Nil GSTR-3B through SMS
- Blog|GST & Customs|
- 1048 Views
- 2 Min Read
- By Taxmann
- Last Updated on 6 December, 2022
Rule 67A of the CGST Rules, 2017 provides the manner of furnishing of ‘Nil’ GSTR 3B by short messaging service (‘SMS’) facility. This facility to file returns through SMSis notified on June 8, 2020. The return shall be filed using the registered mobile number of the authorized signatory and verified by the One Time Password (OTP) facility.
The following criteria need to be fulfilled by taxpayers in order to file Nil GSTR-3B for a particular tax period through SMS:
- The taxpayer must be registered as Normal taxpayer/ Casual taxpayer/ SEZ Unit / SEZ Developer
- The taxpayer must have a valid GSTIN
- Authorized signatory and his/ her phone number must be registered on the GST Portal
- Not made any outward supply of goods or services including nil rated, exempt, and non-GST supplies
- Not received any supplies liable to reverse charge or exempt, nil rated and non-GST inward supplies
- No taking of ITC or reversal of ITC
- No interest or late fee (including carrying forward late-fee) liability to be paid
- No tax liability due to Form GSTR-1
- No liability for that particular tax period or earlier tax periods
- All GSTR-3B returns of previous tax periods must be filed
- No data should be in the saved stage in Form GSTR-3B on the GST Portal
To file Nil GSTR-3B through SMS, registered persons should follow the below-mentioned steps:
Send SMS to 14409 to file Nil GSTR-3B
FORMAT–‘NIL space<Return Type>space<GSTIN>space<Return Period>
Example: NIL 3B 07AQDPP8277H8Z6 042020
On receipt of SMS, GST portal will send ‘Verification code’ on the same mobile number which is usable only once and will expire within 30 minutes
Send ‘Verification Code’ on the same number 14409 to confirm the filing of Nil GSTR-3Breturn
FORMAT<span lang=”EN-IN” style=”font-size: 12pt; line-height: 115%;”>–CNF space<Return Type>space<Code>
Example: CNF 3B 453678
After successful validation of ‘Verification Code’, GST Portal will send back ARN to the same mobile number and on registered e-mail ID of the taxpayer to intimate successful filing of Nil GSTR-3B On the successful filing of NIL GSTR-3B through SMS, the status of GSTR-3B return will be changed to ‘Filed’ on GST Portal.
Note: If an incorrect Verification Code is provided more than three times during a day then, GSTIN and Mobile number combination will be blocked for that particular day for filing of NilGSTR-3B through SMS. However, one can try filing Nil GSTR-3B through SMS after 24 hours or login to the GST Portal to continue filing through online mode.
This is a welcoming step on the part of the Govt. and GST portal especially in the difficult times of the COVID-19 pandemic. This facility comes as a relief for taxpayers when the GST portal stops working. Now, the registered persons having Nil details in a particular tax period can furnish the GSTR 3B via SMS without login into the GST portal.
Disclaimer: The content/information published on the website is only for general information of the user and shall not be construed as legal advice. While the Taxmann has exercised reasonable efforts to ensure the veracity of information/content published, Taxmann shall be under no liability in any manner whatsoever for incorrect information, if any.
Taxmann Publications has a dedicated in-house Research & Editorial Team. This team consists of a team of Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, and Lawyers. This team works under the guidance and supervision of editor-in-chief Mr Rakesh Bhargava.
The Research and Editorial Team is responsible for developing reliable and accurate content for the readers. The team follows the six-sigma approach to achieve the benchmark of zero error in its publications and research platforms. The team ensures that the following publication guidelines are thoroughly followed while developing the content:
- The statutory material is obtained only from the authorized and reliable sources
- All the latest developments in the judicial and legislative fields are covered
- Prepare the analytical write-ups on current, controversial, and important issues to help the readers to understand the concept and its implications
- Every content published by Taxmann is complete, accurate and lucid
- All evidence-based statements are supported with proper reference to Section, Circular No., Notification No. or citations
- The golden rules of grammar, style and consistency are thoroughly followed
- Font and size that’s easy to read and remain consistent across all imprint and digital publications are applied