What is Competition Commission of India?
- Blog|Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code|
- 1160 Views
- 2 Min Read
- By Taxmann
- Last Updated on 29 January, 2022
Competition Commission of India (CCI)
The Commission consists of a Chairperson and not less than two and not more than six members who are appointed by the Central Government. The Chairperson and other members are whole time members of the commission. The Chairperson and every other Member of the commission is a person of ability, integrity and standing and have special knowledge and professional experience of not less than fifteen years in international trade, economics, business, commerce, law, finance, accountancy, management, industry, public affair, or competition matters including competition law and policy, which in opinion off the Central Government may be useful to the Commission.
Selection of the Committee
The Chairperson and other members of the Commission are appointed by the Central Government from a panel of names as recommended by the Selection Committee as below —
- The Chief Justice of India or his nominee for Chairperson.
- The Secretary in the Ministry of Corporate Affairs for the member
- The Secretary in the Ministry of Law and Justice for the member
- Two experts of repute who have special knowledge and professional experience in international trade, economics, business, commerce, law, finance, accountancy, management, industry, public affairs, or competition matters including competition law and policy for the member of the committee.
Term of Office of Chairperson and other members of the Commission
The Chairperson and every other member of the commission shall hold office for a term of five years from the date of appointment and is eligible for re-appointment. However, the Chairperson or any other member should not be of age more than sixty-five years while appointment. Any vacancy which is caused by resignation or removal or death will be fulfilled by a fresh appointment in accordance to the provisions of section 9 of this act. The Chairperson and every other member must take an oath of the office and of secrecy in in front of an authority as prescribed. In event of vacancy of Chairperson because of his death, resignation or otherwise, the senior most member of the commission shall Act as Chairperson until the new Chairperson is appointed and enters the office. Same is when the Chairperson is unable to discharge his function due to illness or any other cause then the senior most members shall discharge the functions of that Chairperson until he dates on which the Chairperson resumes the charge of his functions.
Disclaimer: The content/information published on the website is only for general information of the user and shall not be construed as legal advice. While the Taxmann has exercised reasonable efforts to ensure the veracity of information/content published, Taxmann shall be under no liability in any manner whatsoever for incorrect information, if any.
Taxmann Publications has a dedicated in-house Research & Editorial Team. This team consists of a team of Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, and Lawyers. This team works under the guidance and supervision of editor-in-chief Mr Rakesh Bhargava.
The Research and Editorial Team is responsible for developing reliable and accurate content for the readers. The team follows the six-sigma approach to achieve the benchmark of zero error in its publications and research platforms. The team ensures that the following publication guidelines are thoroughly followed while developing the content:
- The statutory material is obtained only from the authorized and reliable sources
- All the latest developments in the judicial and legislative fields are covered
- Prepare the analytical write-ups on current, controversial, and important issues to help the readers to understand the concept and its implications
- Every content published by Taxmann is complete, accurate and lucid
- All evidence-based statements are supported with proper reference to Section, Circular No., Notification No. or citations
- The golden rules of grammar, style and consistency are thoroughly followed
- Font and size that’s easy to read and remain consistent across all imprint and digital publications are applied