Relevant Extracts | Finance Minister’s Budget Speech 2021
- Blog|GST & Customs|
- 2 Min Read
- By Taxmann
- Last Updated on 7 April, 2021
Finance Minister’s Budget Speech 2021
174. Before I come to my Indirect Tax proposals, I would like to appraise the House on GST. The GST is now four years old, and we have taken several measures to further simplify it. Some of the measures include:
- nil return through SMS,
- quarterly return and monthly payment for small taxpayers,
- electronic invoice system,
- validated input tax statement,
- pre-filled editable GST return, and
- staggering of returns filing.
The capacity of GSTN system has also been enhanced. We have also deployed deep analytics and Artificial Intelligence to identify tax evaders and fake billers and launched special drives against them.
175. The results speak for themselves. We have made record collections in the last few months.
176. The GST Council has painstakingly thrashed out thorny issues. As Chairperson of the Council, I want to assure the House that we shall take every possible measure to smoothen the GST further, and remove anomalies such as the inverted duty structure.
** ** **
G. Legislative Changes in the provisions of Central GST Act, 2017 (CGST Act) and Integrated GST Act, 2017 (IGST Act):
Certain changes have been in the CGST Act and the IGST Act on the basis of recommendations made by the GST Council. These changes will come into effect from the date when the same will be notified, as far as possible, concurrently with the corresponding amendments to the similar Acts passed by the States & Union territories with legislature.
These includes measures for
- facilitating taxpayers, such as remove the mandatory requirement of getting annual accounts audited and reconciliation statement, filing of the annual return on self-certification basis and charging interest on net cash liability with effect from the 1st July, 2017.
- improving compliance, such as availment of input tax credit only when the details have been furnished by the supplier in the statement of outward supplies, validity of provisional attachment for a period, zero-rating on payment of IGST only in specified cases and linking it to the receipt of foreign remittances.
- making certain other changes relating to seizure and confiscation, filing of appeal only on payment of a sum equal to twenty-five per cent of penalty imposed.
H. There are few other changes of minor nature. For details of the budget proposals, the Explanatory Memorandum and other relevant budget documents may be referred to.
Disclaimer: The content/information published on the website is only for general information of the user and shall not be construed as legal advice. While the Taxmann has exercised reasonable efforts to ensure the veracity of information/content published, Taxmann shall be under no liability in any manner whatsoever for incorrect information, if any.
Taxmann Publications has a dedicated in-house Research & Editorial Team. This team consists of a team of Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, and Lawyers. This team works under the guidance and supervision of editor-in-chief Mr Rakesh Bhargava.
The Research and Editorial Team is responsible for developing reliable and accurate content for the readers. The team follows the six-sigma approach to achieve the benchmark of zero error in its publications and research platforms. The team ensures that the following publication guidelines are thoroughly followed while developing the content:
- The statutory material is obtained only from the authorized and reliable sources
- All the latest developments in the judicial and legislative fields are covered
- Prepare the analytical write-ups on current, controversial, and important issues to help the readers to understand the concept and its implications
- Every content published by Taxmann is complete, accurate and lucid
- All evidence-based statements are supported with proper reference to Section, Circular No., Notification No. or citations
- The golden rules of grammar, style and consistency are thoroughly followed
- Font and size that’s easy to read and remain consistent across all imprint and digital publications are applied